
Dear Poppi,
I am missing you so much already; more than I ever thought was possible. Although I have always lived far away, there was a special closeness I felt with you. I have so many wonderful memories of spending time with you.
When I was very little, you taught me how to play checkers out by the pool in “Poppi’s Place.” Then you let me beat you over and over again. You would take us to the arcade with a big sack of coins and let us play our favorite games as much as we wanted. You were famous for reading us the scary story “The Beast with Five Fingers,” but I was never brave enough to listen to the whole thing!
When I was older, I learned how to fish in your boat. You helped me catch my first fish because I wasn’t strong enough to reel it in by myself! We spent many nights down at the dock watching the river and trying to fish, although we only would catch catfish (which stuck you in the foot once with its barb!). When I learned how to drive, you let me drive your Jimmy to the store with you. I was nervous about it, but you were probably more nervous than me!
I am so glad you got to meet my husband, Jesse, even if it was when we were just dating. He is so good to me, just like you were to Grandma. I remember the day I told you I was going to have a baby. You were shocked! But so happy for me at the same time. I am sorry you never got to meet Luke in this life, but I know that you can see him now, so that puts a smile on my face.
I am crying now, as I write this letter, but not completely out of sadness. I know that I will see you again, I just don’t know how long it will be until that happy reunion. You have been such a wonderful grandfather to me, and I will never forget you. Thank you for all you have done. You will be missed by so many people. I hope heaven is just the way you imagined it would be. You deserve the best.
Until we meet again, I LOVE YOU!
Love, your granddaughter, Emily (a.k.a. “Sugar”)
No comments:
Post a Comment