Last weekend, Jesse, his cousin Bryon, and Bryon's friend Pete climbed the Tetons. I found this picture on the internet and the tallest middle one is the Grand Teton, which is the one they summitted. So picture me, a nervous wreck at home, while Jesse stands at the tip-top! I will tell their adventure, then be prepared for a bunch of pictures and a video! They left Idaho Falls Friday evening around 5:30. They drove the two hours to Jackson Hole, WY, had dinner, and continued the short distance to the base of the Tetons. There they camped in the parking lot and slept a few hours before beginning their hike at 2am. They had a few miles of just uphill forest hiking (in the pitch dark, using headlamps of course), and lots of switch-backs and boulder-scrambles. By the time the sun came up (around 7am), they had made it to the Lower Saddle. Jesse had cell reception, and called me to let me know all was well so far and it would still be hours before they reached the top. They continued on and ran into a bunch of other climbers as well. They ended up having to wait their turn at the technical climbing parts because of the hikers ahead of them. The technical part was what made me as a wife, nervous because I had heard of how you are so exposed on the rock with nothing but thousands of feet dropping below you. But I knew they all had the equipment they needed including ropes, harnesses, and helmets. Around 1:30pm (almost 12 hours since they started) I got a call from Jesse and they had made it to the top. He said the view was spectacular and he felt like he was on top of the world, which he pretty much was! They had lunch and a quick rest up top before beginning the long journey down. There were a few other hikers that were not prepared with any equipment or anything, so Jesse, Bryon, & Pete had to take turns with their equipment to help them down otherwise they most likely would've been stuck on top forever, or fallen off the mountain. The toughest part getting down is the 60-meter rapell, but all went well, and Jesse called me again once they were past all that stuff. I could breathe a little easier. From then on, it was just a hike down the mountain. They ended up jogging a lot of the way for some reason...I think they regretted it later because they were all so sore! But they made it back to their car around 8 pm and Jesse was once again home to me around 10. He got some really great pictures, but I know it doesnt do it justice, and it is better to have Jesse show the pictures so he can point out landmarks and other things, but I will do my best. I'm glad they made it safe and sound, and they all had an awesome time, and are already talking about when they will do it next!
Bryon...don't look down! This is why I was so freaked out...without ropes, look how easy it is to fall right off the mountain! Good thing I know they will always be as safe as possible.This is a short video clip Jesse took from the very top:



5 comments:
AMAZING PHOTOS - what a quest (does that make Jesse at Knight LOL)! I remember "switch backs" from our back country hiking/camping days in the Kings Canyon! I think I've actually had nightmares about them!!! I recall blisters too, and a BLACK TOE! FUN STUFF! And, I love the picture of that growing belly! Love, Aunt Ky
awesome pictures, grandma and i are so happy to have children and grandchildren that do these amazing things that we never did (can't wait to see what the great grandchildren do) you're looking good, sugar, love you, poppi and grandma
thanks for sharing Em! what an experience....one I'm sure he'll cherish! gotta love the blister...he and Shanna now have a little something special in common----you must ask her to tell you! love ya....Aunt Kelly & Uncle Tim....p.s.---u're lookin' mighty fine yourself!!!!!!!
WOW! I can not believe he did that. That is amazing, and scary, too! That one picture I did not want to look down! He has serious thrill issues, ha ha.
My Brother never ceases to amaze me! What a burly man he is!
Post a Comment